[Image: a series of tweets by justified agitator (@Awkward_Duck) on August 19, 2014.
1:23 AM: We literally laid in someone’s backyard for what seemed like an eternity while tanks rolled down the streets #Ferguson
1:26 AM: I’m live tweeting because there’s a media blackout. #Ferguson
1:33 AM: I’m so shaken. They’re literally just rolling around throwing tear gas into neighborhoods-not aggressive crowds. #Ferguson
1:34 AM: I was pouring milk over one guys eyes when they came back around and threw another at us. #Ferguson
1:51 AM: Let me repeat, THEY ARE GASSING NEIGHBORHOODS not crowds of protestors.There was only a few of us walking. there is no curfew, so why?]
Our alumni is currently a finalist in Brave New Voices 2014. We are honored to have been part of such an amazing young woman’s journey. Rhiannon is now tackling social justice issues and we couldn’t be more proud.
This is info I collected from many sources, mostly PoC bloggers. I’m not trying to claim anything here as ‘mine’ and am grateful to any and all sources of thoughts and information contained here! Anyone can reuse anything from this, credited or not.
1. Here’s a map I made with the route from the Liquor Store to the site of Michael Brown’s murder (map), with notes on locations, timing, etc. It’s similar to what’s in this post, but has less details and no links.
2. Through their attorney the Ferguson Market has said that they never called the cops, a customer did. And they never said they thought this was Mike Brown, the police told them that it was later in the week. (News story with video)
3. Timestamps on their surveillance video show the robber didn’t leave till 11:54, which falsifies the police timeline (screenshot, timestamp of 11:53:50 in upper corner). Mike Brown was murdered 2/3rds of a mile away (see map from 1).
4. He was dead by 12:03 (The first @TheePharoah tweet about his death was at 12:03) , so if the police claim they made contact at 12:01 is right, it took less than 2 minutes for Darren Wilson to encounter him, to challenge him, and murder him. But lets say it’s right, even though that seems awfully, disgustingly, fast.
5. So, in 7 minutes or less, (and it’s probably less!) Mike Brown would have had to travel on foot 2/3rds of a mile. If he kept an even speed the whole time he was jogging about 6 miles an hour for 7 of the last 9 minutes of his life. Possible? Maybe. But the police said Darren confronted him walking, not running in the street. Technically possible, not at all plausible.
6. A more realistic timeline would say it took a minute to clear out of the parking lot and pick up full speed so call it 11:55 he left and got on a steady pace. And what was already tweeted by 12:03 probably happened 12:02. The encounter described was probably at least 3 minutes (making it more like 11:59 the encounter started.) So actually the cops are trying to claim Mike Brown covered 2/3rds of a mile in the 4 minutes from 11:55 to 11:59. .That’s a solid 10 miles an hour the whole way, both him AND Johnson, and not noticeably running when Darren stopped them. So this is pretty much impossible.
"At least six shots"
"Two to the head at an upward trajectory"
"One bullet wound consistent of arms raised in a ‘surrendering’ position"
"No drugs in Michael’s system"
"No robbery reported from store owner"
"No sign of a struggle"
If that doesn’t sound like an open and shut case, then what the fuck is it?
MISSING: Ataui Deng has been missing for 10 days. She was last seen in the Lower East Side of New York City. She is 5 feet 10 inches tall and slim. If you see her please email FindAtaui@gmail.com. Thank you
Please see the motive behind bringing the National Guard to Ferguson. This isn’t an issue of the system malfunctioning. No. The system is working exactly as it was designed to work: To silence and kill.
Militarized cops are horrendous enough. That an actual military force is going to be descending on them now is horrifying.
This is Duolingo, a language-learning website/app that deserves some serious recognition. It offers over 10 languages for English speakers, as well as courses for non-English speakers around the world, and they’re in the process of adding more.
But wait, I don’t want to do any more schoolwork! Not to worry little one, Duolingo is actually more like a game. You can compete with friends, and earn “lingots” (which are basically Duolingo money) to buy power-ups, extra activities, and bonus skills - like Flirting.
I’m already taking a language, what do I need this for?
It’s not really a secret that most school language courses (in America, anyway) suck and only teach you to speak the language at about a third grader’s level. Which is why Duolingo is so freaking awesome.
Teachers can’t give every student individualized attention, but Duolingo can. If you’re not learning the way you want to or as much as you want to in the classroom, Duolingo is a really great resource. It’s easy, tailored to you, and really effective.
Duolingo tracks your progress and reminds you when you haven’t studied for a while or need a refresher on something. Already semi-fluent in a language? No problem, just take a shortcut to more advanced subjects or test out of the lesson.
The lessons start with the basics (he, she, hello, thank you, etc) and move up to harder stuff. Duolingo focuses on vocabulary first, so you can learn the language and then the grammar that goes with it - much simpler than the system most schools use. It also tracks the number of words you’ve learned and how well you know them.
And you don’t even have to write out the flashcards!
Duolingo is perfect for reviewing everything you forgot over the summer or giving you the extra help you need. And if you’re trying to learn a language on your own, it’s fantastic - you don’t have to create your own lessons. Whether you’re trying to learn your second, third, or fifth language, I seriously recommend Duolingo.
Okay, what else?
Duolingo also has discussion boards, where you can ask for help with a hard lesson, make new friends, watch for updates, and share your achievements.
Even better is the Immersion feature. It won’t send you to Spain or France, but it’s pretty awesome. Duolingo takes real articles from the internet, which users translate. You can translate articles from your native language into the language you’re learning or vice versa, which gives you more experience and makes the Internet more universal.
You can suggest new languages and track Duolingo’s progress in creating new courses. Bilinguals (older than 13) can help to create these courses. Duolingo has a long list of courses that can be contributed to, like Punjabi, Hebrew, and Vietnamese. Oh, and Dothraki, Klingon, Sindarin, and Esperanto.
And the best part? IT’S COMPLETELY FREE.
If you love languages or just want to pass French class this year, USE DUOLINGO. Download the app and practice a language while you wait for the bus instead of playing Angry Birds!
Coolest app I’ve ever downloaded.
Eartha Kitt as Catwoman
Chief Russell Mills to the LA Times after shooting and killing black 89-year-old great grandfather Shawn Monroe at a barbecue unprovoked. Today, he walks free with no charges, despite numerous witnesses and his own admission that he enjoys terrorizing black people.
Tell me again why Black people should be okay with police when they have, since the history of our being kidnapped to this fucking country, have not EVER been about protecting us, but about terrorizing us?
Police are NOT for Black people’s safety. They are about torturing us, terrorizing us and killing us. Period. There is no safety with police. There is no peace keeping with police. They have ALWAYS been a terror to the Black community and I am tired of this fact being pushed to the wayside.
And Ray Kelly, when he was Commissioner in NYC said the same thing.
Arpaio has said the same thing.
This is a ROUTINE assertion that the point of the police is to be an agent of state terror. And that such terror should be all but exclusively focused on Black and Brown bodies.
Wow, the quote after the one referenced in this post is:
“"We’re not out there trying to abuse and harass people — we’re trying to protect the law-abiding citizens locked behind their doors in fear."
Uhm…I’m confused about what constitutes harassment and abuse, then?